MEDICAL OFFICE MANAGERS
June 14, 2018
June 14, 2018
A Trending Profession
Managers in every industry shoulder a lot of responsibility. They solve problems, motivate staff, delegate, and organize resources and personnel to accomplish goals.
Exceptional organizational and leadership skills are what make it possible. The healthcare industry is no different, but medial office managers (MOMs) also need technical and analytical proficiency to incorporate coding software and electronic health records into successful facility operation.
Medical and health services manager employment is expected to grow 17% by 2024, much faster than the average for all occupations. Read on to learn more about what it takes to be a successful medical office manager.
What is a Medical Office Manager?
Medical office managers coordinate medical and health services in a facility, department, or medical practice. A big part of their job is keeping up to date on changing healthcare technology, laws, and regulations. The responsibilities of a medical office manager include
- Training, supervising, and scheduling staff
- Maintaining and organizing records
- Improving quality and efficiency
- Accounting, budgeting, and billing
- Ensuring the facility is compliant with applicable law and regulations
As you can see, a medical office manager is a busy person wearing lots of different hats. The competence and performance of the medical office manager has a huge effect on the success of the facility and the quality of care patients receive. There are certain skills and abilities a medical office manager needs to be successful.
Must Have Skills for Medical Office Managers
There are a few essential skills medical office managers need.
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills. These managers work with a variety of professionals such as physicians, surgeons, nurses, and technicians. They must be adept at communicating policies and regulations to staff to ensure compliance with relevant laws. Interpersonal skills are crucial when discussing patient information and staffing problems.
- Detail Oriented. Getting the details right is critical in the healthcare industry. Medical office managers have to pay close attention to details when organizing schedules and billing information for large facilities. Diligent attention to detail is also necessary to ensure paperwork is precisely completed, reimbursement procedures are followed, and health records are properly maintained.
- Leadership Skills. Medical office managers are running the ship, so they have to make sure everyone is doing their job and the procedures are followed. They hire, train, supervise, and lead staff and solve staffing and administrative problems. Great leadership skills are vital.
- Analytical Skills. Healthcare regulations, medical codes, medical terminology, diagnoses, and procedures can be technical and complicated. Strong analytical skills help managers understand, follow, and explain all of these topics.
- Technical Skills. Healthcare technology, data analytics, and electronic health records are major parts of a MOM’s day-to day activity. Managers must be able to stay current with advances in the industry to incorporate and explain these technologies.
How Can You Become a Medical Office Manager?
Educational requirements for MOMs vary based on the type and size of the facility. Most offices prefer career training programs or degrees in health administration, health management, public health administration, or business.
Source – 360 Training
The Best Online Resources for Medical Office Managers & Marketers
A list of the best digital platforms and blogs offering expert advice and marketing opportunities for managers in the dental and healthcare industry. Each resource offers support with day-to-day tasks, office management, or marketing goals. (Did we miss something on the list? Let us know in the comments below.
The Healthcare Success Marketing Blog
Healthcare Success is an agency that provides digital marketing services for healthcare offices. They use a blog to share their expertise in their field, which is a great source of free information.
The Healthcare Success Blog regularly publishes posts with helpful internet marketing advice. They also have a library of free webinars and whitepapers related to inbound marketing and attracting online attention. Topics aren’t exclusive to online marketing. The blog also shares articles about patient experience, traditional advertising, and branding — making it a well-rounded offering of marketing and management advice.
When you market a medical facility, you want it to show up to potential clients in as many places as possible. This is why your office should have a presence on HealthProfs.com.
HealthProfs is an online directory that helps patients search by type of doctor and location to find a healthcare facility. Practices and solo practitioners can use the platform to create a public profile. Then, because of the high online authority for HealthProfs, profiles on the site perform very well in search. So, if you want new patients to find you via search, creating a profile on HealthProfs will help you get a boost in search engine results, for a small monthly fee.
Source & Read More – Spectrio